Historic Bremen

Bremen, Indiana

Page 3 of 11

Acquisition: Post Office safe

The Schneider family has graciously donated the Mosler safe that once occupied the Bremen Post Office back in the 1930s to ’50s. It held the various official seals, stamps, and cash drawer used every day, in addition to a pistol…. Continue Reading →

1902: Ben Shaffer gets Bremen some artillery

Through the efforts of Bremen’s Grand Army of the Republic post (Civil War vets), led by Ben Shaffer, Bremen got its cannon for the cemetery in 1902. Click on any image to view a larger version. Benjamin Shaffer (1844-1912) had… Continue Reading →

Schlosser Brothers Creamery

Excerpted from: INDIANA ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY YEARS OF AMERICAN DEVELOPMENT Vol. 3 By Charles Roll, A.M. The Lewis Publishing Company, 1931   Indiana agriculture associates the name Schlosser Brothers with the largest organization in the state manufacturing and handling… Continue Reading →

Klinefelter collection

Janet Stuntz has graciously allowed us to add her family collection of photos to our online resources at Flickr. Her family is from Etna Green in Kosciusko county and includes Klinefelter & Marvin and Houser & Barnbrook lines. Many of… Continue Reading →

1958: New street lights

Thanks to Gary Kiefer, the History Center now has a trio of beautiful photographs depicted events at the 1958 ceremony to light the new overhead street lights on Plymouth and Center streets. The Bremen Enquirer duly documented the events, and… Continue Reading →

1894: That’s a lot of boloney

Presented without comment. From the Bremen Enquirer – 12 Oct 1894.

1960: Bornemann Products burns down

William Bornemann came to Bremen to start a shoe-making business in 1893. He had been born in Westphalia, Prussia, in 1870 and emigrated in 1888. He married Elsbeth Saenger, another German immigrant he met by arrangement in South Bend. They… Continue Reading →

1909: Dr Schilt dodges a serious charge of speeding

Born southeast of Bremen on what became the Theodore Graverson farm, Clarence Schilt (1888-1955) went off to Ontario to learn to be a veterinarian. But he returned to his home town to start a practice. It didn’t last long, however,… Continue Reading →

Then & Now: 303 N Center St

Among the photos from the Louis Flora collection donated to Historic Bremen is one of the house at 303 N Center St, a house where (the back of the photo indicates) his great-grandfather James Bates had lived at one time… Continue Reading →

History Chat: Carolyn Rahe on saving barns

Carolyn Rahe is the daughter of Dr George Meyer, a veterinarian who came to Bremen in the early 1960s. Growing up on a farm, she became interested in livestock and barns and has become a passionate advocate for saving local… Continue Reading →

1904: Rabbit turns hunter

Charles Scott, who took over the Bremen Enquirer for a short time at the turn of the previous century, ran this story he picked up from the Wilmington Democrat of Wilmington, Ohio, but with his own humorous editorializing. Click the… Continue Reading →

Edward Geiselman, sculptor

Bremen co-founder Josiah Geiselman, blacksmith, had 10 children, 7 of whom survived to adulthood, with wife Mary (born Ringle). The Geiselman name nevertheless died out in this area after just two generations. But one of Josiah and Mary’s children showed… Continue Reading →

1889: A musical tour of Bremen

Back in the old country, the town of Bremen has long been associated with a certain group of musicians (a donkey, a dog, a cat, and a rooster, to be exact). But our own town has long had a similar… Continue Reading →

1886: A Christmas miracle… of a sort

This ran in the Bremen Enquirer on Christmas Day, 1886…. A plug hat was a hat with a short, round crown. It was an older style. This one is from the civil war.

1897: The People’s Circulating Library

Before the town of Bremen had a proper library (which was established in the town hall in the 1920s before a proper library building was built in the 1950s), it had the People’s Circulating Library, run by the Koontz brothers,… Continue Reading →

« Older posts Newer posts »

© 2018 Historic Bremen — Powered by WordPress

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑