Historic Bremen

Bremen, Indiana

Tag

Wright

1898: murder, mines, and melodrama (and cross-dressing)

In one photo of the old agricultural fair’s harness racing event, you can see the judges’ stand draped with an advertisement for the Bremen Opera House production The Silent Witness, by Forbes Heermans (apparently attributed to Horace C Dale by… Continue Reading →

The Marshall St grocery

In 1909, a building was removed to make room for a new hotel built by Peter E Dietrich, a building which today houses the Bremen Senior Living apartments and the Bremen History Center. The old building was moved to N… Continue Reading →

1915: See Powell the Magician! 20¢!

John J Wright’s Opera House occupied the second floor of the building above Wright’s Store (today’s Panda Garden). It opened in the early 1880s (before the Enquirer was around to document it) and hosted the first real Bremen High School… Continue Reading →

1870: town of Bremen census

Although Bremen was first surveyed and platted in 1851, the beginning of the town is often dated to 1871, when it was incorporated. What was it like back then? In 1870, the census of Bremen covered just three pages: 120… Continue Reading →

Bremen in 1903

The Plymouth Tribune, on February 19, 1903, ran this glowing article on Bremen’s townsfolk and businesses. Flanking the article was a similar one about the town of Bourbon.

Doc Bowen

The Bremen History Center has an exhibit all about the life and career of Otis R Bowen, MD. This post exists as a reference for tagging the families in Doc’s background. See the exhibit page for details.

© 2019 Historic Bremen — Powered by WordPress

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑